With the arrival of Santa Claus for the Children’s Tree lighting each year, the “City of Ships” becomes the Christmas City on the Kennebec, with a full calendar of events for the holidays. Pick up a copy at businesses throughout the downtown,or view it online by clicking here.
Whatever annual traditions you celebrate, be sure to join us for the festivities in downtown Bath!
2013 Main Street Bath Holiday Events
November 30th, 11:00 – 4:00
Children’s Tree Lighting, Jingle Bell Walk & Visit With Santa
- On Saturday Nov. 30th, join Santa Claus for this kick-off to an Old-Fashioned Christmas in Bath. The festivities begin at 11am in the Patten Free Library Children’s Room with story-time and ornament making. Santa will arrive at 3pm for the Children’s Tree LIghting in the Gazebo in Library Park. Children are encouraged to hang their handmade ornaments on the tree. Jingle bells will be distributed for the walk with Santa to City Hall for cookies, photos, caroling, refreshments and a visit with Mr. and Mrs Claus!
Fridays – December 6, 13 & 20
Trolley Christmas Caroling
- 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Grab a blanket and a thermos of hot chocolate and hope on the trolley with your family and friends. Voices ring out as the trolley travels through the streets of Bath. Don’t miss these unique nights of caroling. Passengers will be picked up at City Hall every 30 minutes. First Come, first served. Free.
Monday – Sunday, December 2-15
Window and Storefront Decorating Contest
- Come see downtown Bath’s historic buildings in holiday dress and vote for your favorite festive storefront or shop window during downtown Bath’s Window Decorating Contest. The voting begins Monday, December 2nd and continues through Sunday, December 15th. All votes will be entered in a drawing to win a generous Gift Basket from downtown merchants. Look for the ballot boxes at Brackett’s Market, on Hallett’s Clock and in downtown banks and businesses. Contest and drawing winners will be announced at Bath’s annual community caroling party, Sing! It’s Christmas! at the Chocolate Church Arts Center.
Friday, December 13, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Downtown Bath Open House
- The streets will be lined with luminaria as Downtown Bath merchants and restaurants stay open late to welcome shoppers with festive holiday music, refreshments and one-of-a kind gifts. Here’s your chance to get in the spirit and get your shopping done! Come see Bath’s vibrant downtown decked out in its Christmas best, admire the window displays and be sure to vote for your favorite in downtown’s Christmas Decorating Contest!
Stuff Santa’s Bag with Toys!
- In the spirit of the holidays, children and adults are encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped gift or toy to stuff the bag with presents. The donated gifts will be given to needy families to spread the holiday cheer. Donations of non-perishable foods for the food bank are also welcome. Santa’s bags can be found in the lobbies of Bath City Hall, the Patten Free library and the Bath Area Family YMCA beginning November 22.
The Red Boxes
- The Red Boxes will dot the downtown area. Take a moment to drop in a letter for Santa or drop in a holiday card for the seniors. Holiday cards will be distributed to Bath area seniors and Santa’s letter will be sent off to the North Pole. All will promote a feeling of good will and holiday spirit.
December 31st, 12:00 noon – 1:00 p.m.
Paul Revere Bell Ringing
- This is the 11th Annual Paul Revere Bell Ringing! Please join us as we sing out the old and ring in the New Year …a few hours early… on the historic bell at Bath City Hall. We will gather a few minutes before noon at the corner of Front and Centre Streets for singing and a short ceremony, followed by the bell-ringing and refreshments in City Hall auditorium. Bring your party hats and noisemakers!
- Byrnes’ Irish Pub – 38 Centre Street
- Solo Bistro Friday Night Jazz – 128 Front Street
- The Chocolate Church Arts Center– 798 Washington Street
Holiday Baked Goods
- Bath Sweet Shoppe – 19 Centre Street – 443-4221
- Brackett’s Market – 185 Front Street – Open daily 443-2012
- Mae’s Café – 160 Centre Street – Open daily at 8:00 a.m. 442-8577
- Starlight Café – 15 Lambard Street – 443-3005
An Old Fashioned Christmas in Bath is generously sponsored by Mid Coast Hospital and our 2012 season sponsor, Bath Savings Institution.