Annual Volunteer Hours
Annual Website Visitors
“The health of our downtown is a reflection of the health of our community”
Watch this short video to learn more about the Main Street program.
What is Main Street Bath?
“Main Street” is a program originated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation that focuses on revitalization of traditional downtowns to enhance the appearance and economic stability of the commercial district, and to improve community pride and quality of life for residents and visitors. The program has been adopted in 44 states and more than 1,650 communities across the country. The Maine Downtown Center (MDC) is affiliated with the National Main Street Center. It assists Maine communities in developing their own self-help revitalization programs. Through the efforts of a group of local volunteers, Bath was selected in 2001 as one of four initial Main Street Maine communities, qualifying it for a 3 year package of training & technical assistance on revitalization provided by the MDC, and paid for by a legislative appropriation plus contributions from corporations, foundations and individuals. Designated communities pay for their own operating expenses and community projects through funds raised locally. Main Street Bath, Inc. (MSB) is a non-profit corporation, guided by a Board of Directors comprised of representatives of the downtown business community, the City government and community leaders.
Its work is carried out through four standing committees made up of community volunteers, who are assisted by a paid Program Director. Funding for MSB comes from 3 year pledges of cash and in-kind donations by businesses, individuals and support from the City Council. Specific projects have been paid for by special solicitations and by fund-raisers. Main Street Bath is tax-exempt under Section 501(c) (3). Contributions are tax-deductible.
What is the Main Street approach to Downtown Revitalization?
The Main Street program’s success is based on a comprehensive strategy of work, tailored to local needs and opportunities in four broad areas, called the Main Street four-point Approach:
- Design: Enhancing the physical appearance of the commercial district by rehabilitating historic buildings, beautification efforts, encouraging supportive new construction, developing sensitive design management systems, and long term planning.
Design CommitteeMeets 3rd Wednesday of the month10:00 AM at Main Street Bath Office
- Organization: Building consensus and cooperation among the many groups and individuals in Bath who have a role in the revitalization process.
Organization CommitteeMeets 1st Tuesday of the month4:00 PM at Main Street Bath Office
- Promotion: Marketing the traditional commercial district’s unique characteristics to customers, potential investors, new businesses, local Bath citizens and visitors.
Promotions CommitteeMeets 1st Wednesday of the month8:15 AM at Bath Savings Institution, Front Street, Bath
- Economic Vitality: Strengthening the Bath district’s existing economic base while finding ways to expand it to meet new opportunities and challenges from outlying development.
Economic Vitality CommitteeMeets 3rd Thursday of the month4:00 PM at Main Street Bath Office
Main Street Bath Board 2019
Sally Johnstone~Vice President
Sally Johnstone~Organization Chair
Gretchen Jaeger~Design Chair
Chuck Spliedt~Economic Vitality Chair
Tamara Lilly~Promotions Chair
Sally Johnstone & William Lederer~Music Committee Leaders
Amanda McDaniel~Heritage Days Committee Leader
Lindsey St. Peter
Amanda McDaniel~ Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Camille Kauffunger~Assistant to the Director, email@example.com
Barbara Bramer~Book Keeper, firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to You By Main Street Bath:
- Bath Heritage Days
- Bath Regional Information Center
- Bath ArtWalk & Trolley Tour
- Banners Over Bath
- Be Bath Buy Bath
- Bath Maine Tourism Brochure
- Bath Maine Area Business Directory
- Mayfair Weekend
- Gift of Bath gift certificates
- Front Street Feud
- Old Fashioned Christmas in Bath
- Bath “City of Ships” Brochure
- Gazebo Concert series
- Welcome to Bath
- So You Think You Know Bath
- An annual game show event that ran for 10 years, now we bring you Front Street Feud
- Ship Celebrations
- MSB organizes a celebration dinner for the Navy crews of each ship that is being released from BIW. Our way of saying Thank You and Godspeed to the men and woman serving on Bath Built Ships.
- City Way Finding Signs
- The direction signage you see around Bath
- The Arch Project
- The Stilphen Prints you see in the arch from the city parking lot to Front St.
- Downtown Flowers with Bath Garden Club, City & Community support
- Visitor and Resident Intercept Surveys
- Business Barometer Meetings
- Building Inventory in the Main Street Bath District
- Workshops and business collaborations
Related Main Street Links
- Main Street Bath
- 15 Commercial Street
- Bath, ME 04530
- Tel: 207-442-7291
- Email: email@example.com